A Brief History of Kalibari Chandigarh
Kalibari Chandigarh, a premier socio-religious, cultural and charitable organization came into existence in 1970 when a handful of energetic people comprising mainly of defence personnel, eminent doctors of PGI Chandigarh and other civilians of Chandigarh, transformed their dreams of having a Goddess Kali Temple in Chandigarh, into reality. This was mainly made possible courtesy by the Sarpanch of Burail village who donated quite a big chunk of land to Dr. Haradhan Bhattacharjee (Founder Priest) for setting up the Kali Temple and its surroundings and finally Kalibari Chandigarh was got registered under Societies of Registration Act XXI of 1860 vide Registration No.74 of 1970-71 on 20.10.1970.
- To make proper arrangement for the daily workshop(Nitya Puja) as well as special workshop (Vishesha Puja) of Goddess Kali in the traditional manner and in accordance with the Shastric injunction.
- To arrange for the annual Durga Puja celebrations and all other pujas or religious celebration.
- To maintain communal harmony by extending active co-operation to the people of various faiths in accordance with the spiritual heritage of India and her secular structure and also to promote better understanding among the people of various beliefs.
- We Maintain all Pollution norms, do not encourage animal sacrifice and believe in regular puja, discourse and meditation.
- To organize when necessary, relief operations in time of natural and other calamities befalling the people.
- To provide facilities for training in sports and physical exercises for the betterment of the health of youth.
- To establish and maintain charitable centers of medical relief for people suffering from bodily ailments and diseases.
- To render assistance to individual or organizations engaged in religious, social, cultural, educational and humanitarian service.
- To disseminate the ideals of love, renunciation and service without self interest through its activities and to foster a sense of universal brotherhood in accordance with the great spiritual heritage of India.
The institution is strictly non-political. Neither the institution as a whole nor any member of the institution is permitted to participate in discussions and activity on any political matter or matters within the set up of the institution.
Since its inception, the affairs of Kalibari Chandigarh have been managed by different Managing Committees who have been elected by the General House comprising of all Life and Monthly Members of this prestigious organization and they have given their best to accomplish the above mentioned Religious and Humanitarian objectives, which has helped this institution to grow in leaps and bounds, as a result of which the name of Kalibari Chandigarh has reached not only to the masses of the tri-city but also to various citizens of India and of course the Members who have settled abroad.
Various works undertaken under the charitable heads
- Community Langars are being organized from time to time which is being attended by thousands of devotees every month.
- Blood donation camps are being organized in consultation with prestigious institutes like PGI Chandigarh and Red Cross Society.
- A charitable homeo dispensary inside the temple complex is being run where medicine is being provided free of cost to the patients as well as fees of the doctor is being reimbursed by the organization.
- A physiotherapy clinic is being run with the help of a renowned physiotherapist of PGI at concessional rates.
- Regular annual donations are being made towards Prime Ministers Relief Fund to counter any natural disaster at national level.
- Imparting scholarships and financial help/honorarium to needy students and poor patients and to those students who have received National scholarships at different fields of art, music, sports and culture.
- Different curricular activities like kathak, bharatnatyam, vocal and instrumental, yoga classes are being run.
- Book fair and pravachan from saints of Rama Krishna Mission and Bharat Seva Aashram is also being organized.
Kalibari Chandigarh is situated at a place adjacent to the Indian Air Force Station Chandigarh. If you peep into the journey of this organization in the last 45 years or so, we find that it has become one of the most beautiful visiting places for worship for the people of tri-city as well as people coming from outside. From a barren and no-man’s land where generally people used to come to answer their call of nature in the day time or people were even frightened to pass by during nights 30-40 years back, this place has become a place of solace and pride of all of us and hats off to all of the devotes, donors, previous Managing Committee Members and of course to the Chandigarh Administration as but for their devotion, help and dedicated service, this could not have been possible. All these activities mentioned here clearly depicts that Kalibari Chandigarh is not only a temple but an all round Institution which is totally committed towards service of mankind besides nurturing its day to day religious activities and this fact your office will also appreciate.